From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:37:45 -0900
I've been on the list for a few weeks and have enjoyed most of the
discussions.  It's nice to see what other Museum Folk are dealing with
and discussing.  Some of the questions asked are also my questions, so I
like seeing the answers returned to us all.  I've even learned a few
things.  There's also a little voyeuristic pleasure reading the personal
messages that "accidentally" end up on the list.

To add my experience to a couple of the discussions:

Even the little Valdez Museum in rural Alaska has a 3'x3'x3' built-in
display case and a model T fire engine on display at the airport.  It
attracts the attention of visitors coming into Valdez via the airport,
and has brought some into the Museum.

Times are growing hard for most museums that I've seen.  Budgets are
being cut.  Many just don't have money to pay higher salaries.
Obviously you go into museum work for the love of it, not to get rich.
However I asked for more money when I was offered the job and got it.
It never hurts to try.

Jerrie in Valdez