From:
安井 亮 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 06:48:00 +0900
Dear Museum-L Colleagues,

I am always feeling thankful for enjoying the very opportunity  to sharing ide
as and exchanging on the Museum-l .

Thank you very much indeed!

I would like to ask for your kindness this time if you could generously provid
e me with information related to science exhibitions for younger children who
are under 6 year old in the museum environment.
Currently, I am preparing an article on the subject in my regular column in th
e newsletter published by the Japanese Society of Science Museums (Secretariat
: Tokyo National Science Museum, Japan). I have already been able to get some
literature on The Garden permanent exhibition at Science Museum, London (ref.
Heritage Development. Jul/ Aug 1995 issue) and on the Play Space travelling ex
hibition which was developed by the Ontario Science Center and the American Ps
ychological Society (ref. AYM Hand to Hand. Spring 1995 issue) and the Habitot
 exhibitions, etc. at the Childrens museum at St. Paul MN (ref.: ASTC Newslett
er. Sep/ Oct 1995 issue). I know these materials which I have in my hands are
of first class for debate, however I believe it is worthy to cover other simil
ar exhibitions at other venues also.
You may respond to me either on the Museum-L or personally. I think it is wort
h to share this kind of information with many people who have interest in the
subject. According to the limitation of the space given regularly in this newl
etter, I cannot afford to make a deep study on the subject such as writing in
 mind with the possible application of the educational ideas of Maria Montesso
ri or that of Rudolf Steiner, however I shall be covering the latest trend of
the science exhibitions for younger children at various venues. Of course, whe
n finishing the article (in Japanese), I shall put an english summary on the M
useum-L for serious people. Also, I can arrange mailing the copies of the issu
e to people who can read japanese upon request. Please note that I cannot prom
ise if my Japanese ascii text will be readable by machine translation for conv
erting into foreign language!

Honestly, I do hope this humble request will be received with kindness on the
Museum-L and be shared together.

Yours very truly,

Ryo

Yasui Ryo
Museum Consultant
2-15-2-303, Tsurukawa, Machida 195, Tokyo.
fax. (+81) 427-36-5916
e-mail: [log in to unmask]