From:
Tim Vitale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 12:21:45 -0700
If you look at older Bubble Wrap, sometimes you will find that it is
either sticky or has picked up a layer of dust that can't be brushed
away.  Even though Bubble Wrap is generally made of polyethylene, and,
many stable products are made from polyethylene or other polyolefins,
some of these polymers have plasticizers added to the plastic to make
the product workable during manufacture, use or both.

This may not be the classic case of "oily" di butyl phthalate in "hard"
poly vinyl chloride (PVC) vinyl, but it is the same sort of problem.
Oily "sticky" stuff, added to make a material more pliable (deformable),
will exude from the surface of the plastic over time, as the mixture
becomes less stable or properties of components change.  In the case of
the bubbles, the "sticky stuff" usually transfers to the things it's
touching.   When the part(s) touching are not uniform, a pattern can be
seen where they did, and did not, touch.  If the other side of  Bubble
Wrap was touching, and it was wrinkled, that wrinkle pattern might also
be seen.  The pattern can be either the plasticizer or dust sticking to
the "sticky" stuff.  In the case of varnish over a painted surface, the
polymer of the varnish may absorb the plasticizer.

Bubble Wrap is made by many companies.  The competition is based on
price.  Thus, the cost of raw materials is important to the
manufacturers.  The use of non-virgin polyolefins might be found in many
Bubble Wraps.  In general, non-virgin plastics are stiffer than those
"made for the application" plastics, and require the use of plasticizers
to make them softer and usable.  In general, the plasticizer is less
expensive than the polymer.

I break this rule when necessary, but the instructors in the packing
courses I attended (many years ago), taught that the first layer is
always paper.  I generally use acid-free glassine, but then I'm often
working with works on paper or photographs.

Tim Vitale
Paper, Photographs &
Electronic Media Conservator
Film Migration to Digital Format