From:
elizabeth Nora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:03:07 -0500
Hello and Happy Holidays!  I have a few questions regarding museum
collaborations and I am wondering if anyone can provide me with some
information.  Recently, my museum began to participate in monthly meetings
for a collaboration that just began.  This group includes mostly educators,
some directors and curators.  The institutions participating are four
history museums, a metropolitan park well on its way to being a botanical
garden, two art museums, and a planetarium. We have met about 5 times now.
Most of our meetings have concerned what we hope to do, but we have had no
agendas.  We have just pinpointed three goals for the year 2001 but have no
committees.  Two of us are fighting for the survival of the group and are
willing to work hard.  The others are followers.  I am afraid that we are
going to fail as a group even though the community we live in needs us
badly.  We are centrally located, being within 3 miles of a rapidly
dwindling downtown, but neighbors to a growing university, Youngstown State.
  Here are some questions for those of you who participate in successful
collaborations.  1.  Have you set up committees or designated individuals in
leadership roles (i.e. president, vice, secretary, etc.)?  2.  Who else
should we include?  We have some other arts organizations and also social
services agencies, schools, etc. nearby.  3.  What kinds of goals did you
set early, and did you accomplish them?  4.  Did you get media support?  5.
Did you get funding, or establish yourselves as a separate entity?  6.  Is
there any advice you want to offer to us.  Whew!  I know that is a lot but I
hope someone will help.  This is so important to me and it is necessary for
the community.

Thanks,

Elizabeth J. Nohra
Assistant Director