From:
"jerry.symonds" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:08:47 -0000
Hi Adrienne,

To answer your question, it would be helpful to know why you are asking
it? For example, visitors per year, annual income and size of collection
are all metrics that are used to classify the size of museums, but can
produce very different rankings.

I don't know of an official universal formula or a study as I'm not sure
too many think this is a fruitful exercise? Other members of this list
may think otherwise and will no doubt say if so!

In my experience "small" museums can have "big" ideas, so I for one try
and keep away from trying to rank by size...

In the UK, we tend to classify museum according to how they are funded,
who they are run by, or according to the type of collections they hold -
rather than size.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jerry Symonds - Senior Internal Auditor