From:
Robin Lipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:34:29 -0500
Our collections management policies were revised last December (1994).  As
part of the revision, we included definitions for our permanent
collections--"A" and "B" objects, handled and exhibited with
restrictions, and our education objects--"C" and "TCM-I" objects.  "C"
objects often parallel our permanent collection in type and scope and
are numbered and tracked in the computer the same as our
"A" and "B" objects, but on the documents transferring title
we are very clear to donors that the objects are not considered part
of the permanent collection and will be used up in eductional programs.
Because they are not fully accessioned, they do not require formal
deaccession, only a note to the file from the appropriate curator if they
are destroyed or lost.  "TCM-I" objects are accepted as fully expendable;
they are usually readily obtainable in large numbers commercially or in
nature (postage stamps, shells, rocks, etc).  We mark them with "TCM-I"
so that if they ever return to the collections department (heaven
forbid!) we don't re-process them.  We also make our intentions with
these objects very clear to donors.
I will be happy to send a copy of our policies to anyone
who is interested.
Robin Lipp
Collections Manager
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis