From:
Ann Molineux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 21:12:29 -0500
Hi Stephen,
Your comments are extremely helpful..I did not realize the problems of
underlining.  In fact by trying to get the 'link' colors closer to the text
color I have inadvertently caused an additional problem if people do switch
off the underline.  I was actually trying to get one consistent color
throughout ( as you suggest), the only problem was that the color was too
close to the text for users without underling!  Guess that is one other
highly necessary change for the second edition.
I had problems really testing this on a Mac, my home machine is an older
Mac and we only support PC machines in the Lab. So these observations are
really vital to me.
Thank you for taking the time to browse the site.
ann

At 11:16 AM 10/25/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, Ann -
>
> > I would also be very interested in the website discussion. In fact would
> > love your collective feedback on my attempt at a webpage for our
> > invertebrate collections?
>
>Nice design, great content on your site! But, a couple of suggestions:
>
>Throughout the pages you designate two text colors, one for common text
>and the other for linked text, but they are used interchangeably, and
>this can be confusing.  You appear to be relying on underlining to
>override color confusion over hyperlinks, but underlining is a browser
>option that some people turn off -- therefore it is unreliable by itself.
>
>On my Mac, using Netsape 4.5 with underlining turned off, there is no
>color distinction between regular text and linked text in many parts of
>the site.
>
>If you want to continue to use underlining to designate links, you should
>go through the site and tag each link with <u>LINK</u>, and then all
>links will be underlined, even if the user has disabled this function in
>their browser options.
>
>Microsoft Frontpage has already done this for some of your links, but
>inconsistently.  Also, MS Frontpage uses a stylesheet command to
>designate text/link colors, and stylesheets are unevenly supported by MS
>Explorer and Netscape browsers, especially below versions 4.0/4.5.
>Actually, using NS 3.0, my browser ignores the stylesheet commands and
>reverts to the link colors designated in the <body> tag -- which in this
>case is better.
>
>WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web tools such as MS Frontpage
>generally do a very poor job of writing code that can reconcile
>cross-browser conflicts.  You should always check your site on different
>browsers and browser versions (and platforms, if possible), to get an
>accurate feeling for what various portions of your audience are seeing.
>
>The simplest thing you can do to overcome this problem is to designate
>one consistent link color throughout the site -- a color that is
>different from any non-linked text.  This way links will be identifiable
>no matter what options or browsers are being utilized.
>
>Best,
>Stephen

>      S t e p h e n    N o w l i n       Director, Williamson Gallery
>
>      Vice President                     Producer, Art Center Online
>      Art Center College of Design       www.artcenter.edu

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain
>detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
>e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message
>should read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Ann Molineux, Collections Manager       [log in to unmask]
Non-vertebrate Paleontology
Texas Memorial Museum           Phone: (512) 232-5384
University of Texas                         Fax: (512) 471-6090
Austin, TX 78712                  http://octopus.npl.utexas.edu/npl/

Museum-L" (without the quotes).