From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 10:29:36 -0700
Tobias

I'm researching in similar areas.  I haven't searched the Web yet, but thus
far the most interesting texts I've found are the following:

Kavanagh, ed.,  -Museum Languages: objects and texts- (1991)
Price, -Primitive Art in Civilized Places-
Hooper-Greenhill, -Museums and the Shaping of Knowledge- (1992)
Belcher, -Exhibitions in Museums- (1991)
Duncan and Wallach, "The Museum of Modern Art as Late Capitalist Ritual:
        an Iconographic Analysis," -Marxist Perspectives-, Winter 1978, 28-51.
Foster, -Recodings: Art, Spectacle, Cultural Politics- (1985).
O'Doherty, -Inside the White Cube: Ideology of the Gallery Space- (1986).
Karp and Levine, -Exhibiting Cultures; the Poetics and Politics of Museum
        Display- (1991)
Luke: -Shows of Force: Power, Politics and Ideology in Art Exhibitions -
        (1992).
Heiss, ed., -Theatregarden bestarium: The garden as theatre as museum-
        (1990).
Crimp, -On the Museum's Ruins- (1993).
Clifford, -The Predicament of Theory- (1988).

There's also a lot of material on particular artists who have sought to
invert the relationship between curator-as-museum-insider and
artist-as-outsider or visitor-as-outsider; if this is your interest, check out
writings on Marcel Brodthaers, Michael Asher, Hans Haacke, Andre Fraser,
Johanne Lamoreaux, the Guerilla Girls, Sylvia Kolbowski, Cecil Abish, Markus
Bruderlin, and the "Les Immateriaux" exhibition in Paris (mid 1980s).

Also lots of material looking at the Modern's exhibitions of
"primitivist" art, both in the 1980s blockbuster and the 1930s showings
of Native American and other "exotic" locales; let me know if you want
some of this material.

I would be interested in seeing what kinds of materials you've uncovered
from other sources; can you reply either on Museum-l or to me privately?
Good luck with your work!

Richard Perry
University of California, San Diego