From:
"E. L. Wimett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 15:20:52 GMT
For some people (like myself) a USENET reader is the best way to "surf" the
net in fora where only a relatively small proportion of the postings may be of
use.  By scanning the headings, I only have to download those messages that I
need.

The digest function is far less discriminating.  Where you normally want to
read a high proportion of the messages in a forum the digest function works
well and can be much more effective in terms of time and costs.  However, I am
told that some providers/servers do not support the digest function.