From:
P Boylan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:39:59 +0100
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Annmarie Zan wrote:

> I just received notice from AOL that I had been sending out bulk scam. When I
> checked my sent file I found several, supposedly sent by me that were sent
> out to people I had never heard of. topic was Love@aol is this the type of thing
> everyone is talking about? What do I do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Annmarie:

It looks as though your PC has been taken over, though perhaps by
something other that the current menace - Sobig-F - as this uses different
headings from this - so far at least.

I think it is absolutely essential that as soon as you connect to the
Internet again you update your anti-virus software (this can be done on
line) and then run a complete virus scan of your hard disk with the
updated software before you do anything else.

If you don't do this it's quite possible that the worm virus may start
sending out fake messages again whenever you connect to the Internet.

Also, there are strong rumours that some completely innocent people's PCs
can be taken over and used as proxy servers for relaying illegal material,
such as child pornography.  If by any misfortune you have been hit in this
way then police units trying to identify the origin of such material might
well be able to trace such relays back to you...

Patrick Boylan
City University London