From:
Christian Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:07:31 -0500
Dear Kate,

I completely agree that the front lines are great place to start...but few
graduate with the goal of becoming a secretary or front desk attendant, because
so many of us want to be behind the scenes playing with objects.  So many
newly-minted graduates with degrees in art history (indeed, many of the students
I advise) look solely for curatorial positions, and I just wanted to demonstrate
that there are a lot of fantastic experiences to be gained by looking in
unexpected quarters, which may be more realistic for them as a starting point.
That's why I was specific about including the job title: some overlook
secretarial or support job (mine was specifically a TYPING secretary, perhaps
inferior to the type that was allowed to file!).  I also agree that you should
never underestimate the power of a secretary or an assistant: they  always hold
the keys to the castle, and are most often the keepers of the institutional history!

I especially appreciated hearing from all of you who took the time to share your
first experiences in the museum field...it is really helping me paint a
realistic (and at times inspiring!) picture for my students, many of whom are in
the second-semester-of-senior-year-oh-my-gosh-I've-got-to-find-a-job-phase.

Director, Sweet Briar Museum
Assistant Professor, Arts Management
Sweet Briar College, Sweet Briar, VA