From:
Silver City Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:42:25 -0700
>Date:    Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:24:00 PST
>From:    John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Those crawling, pesky critters in museums
>
>I am interested in locating insect traps we could place
>around the collection and exhibit rooms to see what is
>crawling around the place (during the day and evening).
>
>Can anyone recommend a system or has anyone used a quality
>sticky trap for seeing what type of critters that may be
>present?

Yesterday Mary Prendergast suggested insect detector traps from University
Products, which may be the easiest way to get them.  You might save some
money by checking with your local pest exterminators first, ask for insect
or pest monitor traps.  Some people prefer the flat traps on the belief that
you trap more stuff.  I prefer tented traps because they're less likely to
accidentally trap visitors and collection items.  They also hide the
contents somewhat (a full trap is memorable to all who notice, and even
interesting to many 10 yr olds, but it usually puts a damper on the museum
experience.)

Margaret Lyman
Curator of Collections
Silver City Museum
Moving soon to the Atwater-Kent Museum in Philadelphia