From:
Julie Kendig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:37:04 -0600
Dear Museum-L listers interested in lviing history:
Hi!  It is Julie from Baylor University writing again.  I have been
encouraged by the responses to my response to Dale Jones' request for
visitor studies in first-person environments.  The queries have provided me
enthusiasm and motivation for a fast completion of the thesis work required.
  I wanted to let those of you who are interested know that the work will be
available through UMI after July 16th.  Following this message is a copy of
the abstract.  I still would love to talk to anyone off-list regarding data
gathering methods, results, observations, etc.!  Thank you for your interest
and communication.  I admire and respect all of you and hope that this work
will truly inform the field and have applicable, positive benefits for you
and your institution.
Sincerely,
Julie Kendig

ABSTRACT
Analysis of Knowledge Retention in History Museum Interpretation
Julie E. Kendig
Mentors: Dr. Kenneth Hafertepe, Ph.D., Dr. Charles Weaver, Ph.D.

Living history museums provide a plethora of experiences for the visitor.
In a typical site, the pages of history come alive, and the visitor is able
to put a face with our nation's past.  Whether the activity is forging a
square nail or drafting the Declaration of Independence, visitors incur a
form of time travel as they enter a site with costumed interpreters and
preserved architecture.
But nowadays the mere existance of historical practices and customs within
the museum environment does not justify its purpose.  Administrators in
museum and education fields alike require expense reports.  If public
servants such as teachers and museum educators are to continue to offer
dynamic learning experiences to their wards, then something must be done to
enhance the raison d'etre for living history.
If the aim of education is cognitive gain, then what can living history
sites contribute?  Innovative answers are explored in this thesis.

&gt;From: Cheryl Kessler &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: Museum discussion list &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;
&gt;To: [log in to unmask]
&gt;Subject: Visitor Studies of Live Interpretation
&gt;Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:28:26 -0500
&gt;
&gt;I am posting this for a colleague of mine, so please reply to him
&gt;directly or post to the list.  Thanks.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Does anyone out there know of any visitor studies of 1) live
&gt;interpretation that examines visitor responses to the interpretation, or
&gt;2) live interpretation that compares visitor responses to the same
&gt;exhibition with, and without, live interpretation?   By live
&gt;interpretation, I mean an interpretation in which a person facilitates,
&gt;as in a tour, demonstration, activity cart, or 1st or 3rd person
&gt;interpretation.   I am always interested in museum theatre, so although
&gt;not my primary focus at this time, I would welcome information there as
&gt;well.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;I would appreciate any citations, or if available, electronic copies or
&gt;web links to the studies.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;You can send any responses directly to me or to the list.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Thanks much for your help.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Dale Jones
&gt;
&gt;Institute for Learning Innovation
&gt;
&gt;Annapolis Maryland
&gt;
&gt;[log in to unmask]
&gt;
&gt;410-268-5149
&gt;
&gt;www.ilinet.org &lt;http://www.ilinet.org/&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Cheryl Kessler
&gt;
&gt;Research Associate
&gt;
&gt;Institute for Learning Innovation
&gt;
&gt;166 West Street
&gt;
&gt;Annapolis, MD  21401
&gt;
&gt;(410) 268-5149
&gt;
&gt;(410) 268-2179 (fax)
&gt;
&gt;www.ilinet.org
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;Important Subscriber Information:
&gt;
&gt;The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
&quot;help&quot; (without the quotes).
&gt;
&gt;If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message
&quot;Signoff Museum-L&quot; (without the quotes).

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms – all in one place at MSN Money!
http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp