From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 12:02:29 -0500
re training in diplomatic behavior:

At our institution, a U.S. state capitol, diplomatic behavior is at the
very top of our list in volunteer and staff training. You can imagine
why--our place is the locus of many controversies, and many visitors have
strong opinions which they sometimes feel compelled to voice during tours.

We emphasize gracefully ackowledging strong feelings and
replying that political thought and involvement are the lifeblood of the
political process, and that citizens should contact their legislators for
the best results. We leave our politics at home.

Political and cultural history and current events are at the fore here,
making audience awareness and graceful management of visitors most
important. Most people (volunteers in training, I mean) easily cotton to
these vital considerations. Adults and younger visitors, of course,
present different challenges.

Training methods that have worked (as requested below):

Anecdotal examples. As we train, we discuss real and potential situations
and solutions, regarding both adult groups and younger visitors. Then,
on-the-job experience makes these points clear.

"empowerment." Our interpreters are taught to explain the rules of
behavior here for students, and also to explain why the rules exist. Each
interpreter can terminate a tour for continued bad behavior, using their
best judgment, and I (the education coordinator) will deal with the
fallout. This is rare but has worked well at times.

I hope this is useful.

Regards to all,
Doug

Doug Lantry
The Ohio Historical Society
Statehouse Education and Visitors Center
Columbus, Ohio