From:
Adrienne DeArmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:30:27 -0500
In a message dated 96-02-20 14:09:03 EST, [log in to unmask]
(John Chadwick) writes:

>how often have attempts to bring new information to light been met by jeers
>from some segments of society of "revisionist history" by
>"academic/cultural elites"?

this brings to mind an experience I had a few years ago with Tlingit elders
(native cultural elites) who were graciously acting as consultants for an
exhibit we were working on. The senior elder approved of what and how we were
presenting the story, except for the part about slaves. He insisted that we
take out the section on slavery b/c his ancestors had never had slaves. He
said (I roughly paraphrase), "those people who were buried at the bottom of
the totem poles were just really loyal servants who prefered to die than live
without their masters." The younger Tlingit people just shook their heads.
Interestingly enough, the exhibit never went up, but it was an issue that was
never resolved.

- Adrienne