From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 00:15:35 +0000
Tamara:

Depends very much on what you feel can't be missed!!

However, in the Swiss Romand (Geneva) area the Alimentarium Museum of Food
at Vevey, and largely sponsored by the nestle food group which has its
world HQ there, is a very unusual educational museum, while on more
traditional lines the the fine art collections of the Geneva Fine Art
Museum are of international quality and importance.

However, I think my own favourite is the quite spectacular excavated small
Roman town of Caesar Augustus on the river Rhine, which still retains its
original name, though slightly modified in spelling as Kaiseraugst.  In
addition to the excavated site, there's a delightful small site museum
housing in a 1930s re-interpretation of one of the site's medium-size
houses, complete with a central courtyard garden planted with species
known from the environmental archaeology evidence to have been growing
there in Roman times.

Don't to forget to check out the links to the web sites of many Swiss
museums on the Virtual Library Museum Pages, supported by the
International Council of Museums (ICOM): http://www.icom.org/vlmp/

Patrick Boylan