From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:38:17 -0500
Roger's story reminds me of an incident at the Towards 2000 Conference, at
the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney in March 95. The conference focussed on
visitor studies and at the end of it, everyone was so enthusiastic that they
immediately began discussing the formation of a professional organization
for people in heritage institutions interested in evaluation and visitor
studies.

The first two options explored were associating with the US-based Visitor
Studies Association and the creation of a new south Pacific visitor studies
association.

Then one of the Australians suggested forming a special interest group of
Museums Australia, as "after all, we're ALL members and we ALL go to their
meetings".

A VERY well known and respected Kiwi present stood up and said. "That's all
very well for you but not all of us ARE members of Museums bloody
Australia!" (or something to that effect).

The response was a simple and a bit bewildered, "Well, then, perhaps you
SHOULD be.".

I have been in positions similar to that in which the lady from North Island
found herself!

The fact of the matter is that, in relations between large countries and
small neighbours, there is always a certain amount of the one taking the
other a bit for granted and the other resenting it a mite. Notwithstanding
that, there are so many things that tie them together and that are common to
both their traditions that the minor irritations pale into insignificance.
The ANZAC spirit was, after all, neither Aussie nor Kiwi - it was both and,
indeed, something MORE than both.

The same is true of Canada and the United States. To single out our military
traditions, as one example, several Americans, serving in the Canadian
forces, have won our highest decoration for gallantry - the Victoria Cross.
Most Canadians don't know that. Still less do most Americans know how many
Canadians have won the Congressional Medal of Honour - and they didn't do it
serving in Canada! I visited the grave of an Ontario man who, like almost
40,000 other Canadians, served in the war between the states (the
overwhelming majority on the Union side). He had won the CMH saving his
colonel's life as a member of a New York State cavalry regiment, returned
home after the war and became a very prominent citizen. There is a large
historical marker at the gate of the tiny country cemetary where he is
buried (placed there, I believe, by the DAR), three bronze plaques on his
grave marker and its plinth erected by American organizations and, when I
visited, I found a small US flag that someone had stuck in the ground next
to his grave.

Canada's very national anthem was composed by a French Canadian who served
as a bandsman (and stretcher bearer) in the 4th Rhode Island Regiment. He
was so badly wounded at Antietam  that he was invalided out of the Union
Army and returned to Canada where, later, his composition was first played
by another army band - this time that of the Volitigeurs de Québec.

I find all this petty sniping a tad archaic and I agree with the colleague
who asked what this all had to do with museums.

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]