From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:55:21 -0400
I have been fortunate enough to have been in this position twice now.  Both Nicolas and Celica give good advice.  I think you can push a decision
out to two weeks -- if you ask nicely and explain your situation.  Museums take forever and a day to make their hiring decisions; they really aren't
in much of a position to force you to hurry yours.

I have found that honesty, surprisingly enough, is the best policy.  Tell the offering institution that you are really excited by their offer, but you
have a number of irons in the fire and want to make sure you make the right decision for you.  A good employer will understand.  (If the offering
institution does not understand, then you may want to reconsider whether you want to work for them.)  Similtaneously, get on the horn with the
other insitution and let them know that you are still interested in them, but you have received this other offer, and would like to know when they
expect to make a decision.  I have found it is acceptable in this situation to ask what your standing is: am I the leading candidate?  Or are there
others ahead of me?  Good employers will understand your situation and will be level with you.

Sometimes, knowing that you are a hot property will force one institution or the other to make an offer, or to up their offer.  This is very nice.
However, it is risky to play one institution off the other, unless you actually have two offers in hand.  (The bird in the hand might always say no,
and then where would you be?)

Finally, while burning bridges is always bad form, you must be careful not to get burned yourself.  The employer is looking out for their best
interests; you must look out for yours.  Do what you can to get the best deal for yourself.  Do it honestly and above-board, and no one can fault
you.

Good luck!

-- Eugene Dillenburg
Exhibit Developer