From:
Todd Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 10:45:33 EDT
Rober Guinn wrote:

>My overall comment about 4D is -- use something else if at all possible.

I must concur.  I got 4D a while back, opened it up tried it out and put it back
in the box.  As I stated in a previous different but similar thread, I'm using
FoxPro 2.6 now, will soon be switching over to Visual FoxPro 3.0 as soon as I've
got the time (97?).

>4D has 350 built in commands, Paradox for Windows has over 1,000
>(and these 1,000 have many sub properties that make the actual difference much
>greater)....... In Paradox you can attach a block of code to any or all of 26
different events.
>Not just pushing the button, but single clicking, double clicking, right
>clicking, when the mouse enters the area of the screen where the button is,
>when it leaves, if a certain key is pressed etc.

You can do all that in VFP also, which if used properly can make a very useful
and intuitive interface for the users.  FoxPro data is in an xbase format and
has many options for reading in and dealing with raw data.  Its very fast and
integrates well with Word and Excel.

Comments:  It sounds like you are going to do this from scratch, good and more
power to ya.  Just be aware that no matter which tool you choose, this would be
a big project.  Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, you would do well
to consider hiring help.  Toward that end, you might see if there is a local
users group for what ever you choose and ask them if they would be willing to
help in the project.  I work with my local FoxPro users group which is made up
of many profesionals.  Our group would sometimes take on projects to use them to
teach the newer members.  Usually at a price cheaper than you could get from a
consulting group.

Good luck, have fun, and oh, by the way smile, its going to hurt.

Todd
"With one foot slightly out of four-space"