Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:31:59 CST
Unfotunatly, "THE TRUTH" is probably more than a single human mind can
comprehend.  Museums inevitably must tell "a truth" based on the
available information and the editorial bias of the staff involved, and
the value of that "truth" is dependant on the width of the viewpoints
considered and the strength of the supporting evidence.  The quotations
around the word "civilised" helps visitors to reconsider their own
preconceptions about natives v. European invaders, perhaps evan leading
the visitors to look for more information on their own.  Isn't this why
we put all our neat stuff on exhibit?  I would object more to the use of
the term "PC", which was invented by conservatives to condem the languge
of their opponents without having to deal with issues of racism and
sexism rampant in American culture.