From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:22:41 -0500
On Thu, 28 Mar 1996, WCG1962 wrote:

> Does anyone have any information about the Museum of Northern Arizona in
> Flagstaff and their plan to open an affiliated school, the Flagstaff
> Academy of Arts and Leadership?

In fact, this is the museum to which I cryptically referred the other day
in my posting about "charter schools."  My understanding is that the
museum is the site of the school, but not the actual recipient of the
charter.  (I could be wrong about that.)  The teacher who is chartering
the school is a former "teacher of the year."  She called in to the US
Deparrtment of Education "satellite town meeting" a couple of weeks ago,
which means that the Secretary and the Deputy Secretary both know about
the museum connection.

To reiterate my former posting, charter schools are *public* schools that
are granted a performance contract by the city, state or public university.

For more information on UNM, you might contact the Museum at 520-774-5213.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs