From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 15:50:23 -0700
I think Anna makes some valid points.  They reinforce
a thought I had after reading the comments that one
should just look the other way.

What if you lived in that area or had to work there?
Looking the other way simply may not be an option.
What if the statue were placed outside your office
window or if it were placed where you had to enter the
building regularly.

Turning off and out isn't always an option for some.
Not turning off and out is also not an option for
others.

I think the poster who commented that this just wasn't
the time and place probably said it best.

--- Anna Fariello <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Public space is just that: public.  Intrusions into
> public space come in
> many forms: light polution from urban spaces or
> trash strewn in the street,
> for example, are not the same a television which you
> must turn on to engage.
> In order to decide that you DON'T want to look at
> something like a public
> sculpture, you would have to see it first, even if
> your decision not to
> look appears instantaneous, you would have to absorb
> enough visual
> information to make a decision not to continue
> looking.
> The issue here is not the merit of the work, but its
> placement as part of
> the public landscape.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414