From:
Lydia Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:35:01 MST7MDT
We are anticipating a move from our 2500 sq. ft. university art
gallery space to a historic Post Office bldg. @ 17,000 sq. ft.  The
powers that be would like to combine the Fine Arts Gallery with the
university's Archaeology Repository in this new (to us) facility.  As
we are in the planning stages, it would be very valuable for us to
contact other institutions that could give us insight into several
aspects of this challenge.  I would appreciate any replies to the
following concerns---

1.  Does your institution occupy an old Post Office building?  What
kind of renovation did you have to do to accomodate your collections?
What efforts were made to create a new image of the building, so that
visitors don't feel like they are walking into "the old Post Office
building" but rather think of it as "our brand new museum?"

2.  Does your university gallery/museum  exist OFF
campus?  How do you effectively combine the demands of serving your
campus community while also serving as a community gallery/museum?

3. Do you know of any institutions that combine Archaeology and
Fine Art under the same roof?  Do the two programs remain entirely
separate, or are they "dovetailed?"

I would appreciate any replies, on- or off-list.  Thanks for your
help!

Lydia

Lydia Johnson
Acting Director
Museums and Galleries at Southern Utah University
351 West Center Street
Cedar City, Utah 84720
(801) 586-5432

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]