From:
Heleanor Feltham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:37:00 PDT
The Sydney Mint Museum closed on 19 June after fifteen years of operation.
 This was said to be largely due to falling visitor figures, and it was
claimed that we dropped from 150 000 to 25 000.  This was far from the case,
but it certainly made us look like a disaster.

Our maximum visitation was back in 1988, the bicentennial year, when we had
free entry, museums were flavour of the decade, and about 140 000 people
came (we were also still paired with the Hyde Park Barracks museum next
door).

After we lost the Barracks to Historic Houses Trust, and went into
hibernation, our visitor figures dropped, and dropped and dropped.  In 1994
we closed for a year for massive site expansion and refurbishing.  We
estimated a hopeful 65 000, based on our good years, but in fact never met
that expectation.  We should have been warned by an evaluation we undertook
which showed considerable indifference to our existence.

Competition in our area  (Hyde Park Barracks, Museum of Sydney, Australian
Museum, Art Gallery of NSW and others) plus rising entry charges and
increasing public apathy all helped keep figures low.

In our second year we suffered a marked drop in attendance, ending up with
about 33 thousand  where we had hoped for at least 45.  However this year we
were beginning to see a turn-around, with steady increases each month (up
15-20% on 1996), and consistent and increasing bookings for the education
programs.  Given the over-all drop in museum attendance, our increase was a
great boost for us - though it did us no good.

There were, of course, other, behind the scenes factors.  In the end,
Historic Houses Trust found themselves with a wonderful prestige address for
their head offices in a major heritage building, and the staff and
collections reverted to the Powerhouse.

Definitely a happier ending than the Baltimore experience!  (Well, anything
is better than unemployment), but still a major cultural loss.