From:
Jim Croft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 07:01:05 +1000
Richard Gerrard wrote:

> We did our original development in ORACLE on an MS-DOS platform, but
> we are in the process of converting it to Microsoft ACCESS in Windows.
> I'd be interested in hearing from anyone working in either of these
> software environments.

Our database is Oracle on a Sun Unix platform.  The design and
construction (as expected, taking much longer that expected) is being
done using the Oracle CASE (Computer Aided Systems Engineering) tools
which produces lots of nice diagrams of the information model.  The
model of our collections and the information associated with it is very
complex and if anything may be over-designed.  Nevertheless it is a
valuable exercise in that it forces you to look critically at your
operation and the way you do business.

> As for vocabulary standards we are going to adopt the Art and
> Architecture Thesaurus (the on-line version 2.0 is fantastic).

The vocabularies we use on our project would make a stevedore blush and
peel the linoneum off the floor...

cheers

-- jim                    URL=http://155.187.10.12:80/people/croft.jim.html
Jim Croft         [Herbarium CANB & CBG]          internet: [log in to unmask]
Australian National Herbarium &                      voice:  +61-6-2509 490
Australian National Botanic Gardens               faxmodem:  +61-6-2509 484
GPO Box 1777, Canberra, ACT 2601, AUSTRALIA            fax:  +61-6-2509 599
______Biodiversity Directorate, Australian Nature Conservation Agency______
_________________Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research____________________