From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:05:58 -0800
I do not disagree with any points made by Ms. McClea about the history of
the Barnes Foundation.  I particularly concur that the neighborhood problems
emerged subsequent to the shift of board control to Lincoln University, a
historically black college, although the interactions of former board
president Richard Glanton with Lower Merion Township, as well as with the
international arts communities, were extremely problematic.

I am second to none in my admiration for the contributions to art and
education made by John Dewey.  I am a product of one of Dewey's other
legacies, the arts education programs that prevailed in the Cleveland, Ohio
public schools of the 1940s, 50s and 60s.  I think the collection Barnes
assembled and his efforts to make this collection available first and
foremost to ordinary folk are remarkable.

I also  think, that any reasonable reading of the history will demonstrate
that Barnes intentions have been undercut and thwarted by some of his
private issues.  Some of the Barnes financial problems can be traced to
Barnes restrictions on the investments he left in trust.  The absence of a
well developed collegial relationship between the Barnes and other
educational organizations and collections, including the ones in the Barnes
own neighborhood, has not served anyone well.

While I wholeheartedly support the preservation of Barnes collection intact,
his installations, and his ideas (and the gardens and houses connected to
the collection), I believe that there is a financial crisis that threatens
its survival.  It makes, in the end, very little difference whether one
describes this as the survival of a museum or the survival of an educational
institution, since the organization appears to be self-sustaining as
neither.  This crisis is much more than a question of "access."  I also
believe that the preservation and furtherance of Barnes intentions may, in
the end, require the partial or total destruction of the legal structures he
left in place. The question that may well find itself articulated in Orphans
Court is this: "In this day and age, and with the best understanding of what
is likely to be the circumstances in coming decades, does it better serve
Barnes intentions to change the charter and revisit the restrictions, or
cling to them as they were written prior to 1952?"  It is a Solomonic
question, absolutely.  I don't know the answer.  I am not sure that anyone
does.

But I would not argue at depth these points, as Ms. McClea would not, in
this forum, and I readily concede that I do not have access to those
archives and that my information about the Barnes comes from Barnes' and
Dewey's published writings, newspaper articles, art magazines, and a variety
of books.

I would, however, express my deep disagreement that a clear line can be
drawn between an "educational institution" and a "museum."  Barnes'
educational institution exists only because it first assembled a collection
of art (artifacts, botanical specimens, etc.), built a structure to house
that collection, and opened it to the public (or to such members of the
public that he deemed worthy to come in).  A large number of collections
similarly began as study collections in colleges, universities, and
libraries.  In it's commitment to the preservation and interpretation of
these objects, the Barnes, is indeed a museum.  Self-styled museums
recognize, as do the different public and private agencies that fund them,
their responsibilities as educators.  Museums have very individualized
philosophies of education, making them not a monolith against which the
Barnes Foundation stands apart, but part of the mass of educational
institutions of which the Barnes is a unique and special member.

I remember fighting the battle of "museum vs. educational institution" some
years ago at the Des Moines Art Center (the result of that battle would
determine how much, if any, sales tax DMAC would have to pay on building
materials for the Meier wing).

Everyday in every institution that displays a collection, there is ongoing
discussion about the primacy of collection, preserving, interpreting, and
education in reference to those collections.
This discussion is central to the life and efficacy of any institution with
a collection.  It shouldn't be a battle.

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: Writing, Editing, Proofreading, Research Services.
Aberdeen, MD