From:
Paintstik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 07:56:50 GMT
We use MS Access at Dale Chihuly Studio to catalog all the work produced
there.  While it is fairly versatile I do not think that it is the best
thing out there for this purpose.  Our database suffers from never having
a proper design produced by a database designer. The administration at the
studio believes that I should be able to accomplish any needed design
changes just because they sent me to a basic training class at CompUSA.
This is laughable.  It is the difference between knowing how to drive a
car and how to fix a car.

I know of no "template" for Access which you could use but, you could
refer to Museum Registration Methods to get an idea of what fields you
want in your tables. But before you put alot of effort into using Access,
I would check into other software specifically designed to catalog art
collections.  The database design process for Access can be more work than
cataloging your collection in my humble opinion.

Don Hudgins
Registrar
Chihuly Studio, Seattle, WA