From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:31:38 -0500
Greg,

Musuems and collecting institutions must abide by the current laws, whether they change at some point in the future is entirely moot.

I know that we could all fantaize about our ideal worlds but when it comes to weapons, firearms, and controlled substances, society takes all of those things seriously - don't even think of having such potential legal liabilites on hand without researching and acquiring the proper permits.

I would suggest that anyone with questionable objects or materials in their collections should contact their local state or federal prosecutor's office who should be very willing to give you advice on the necessary permits and actions you need to take.

I doubt that in very few situtations that you would actually have to surrender an object or material - though it may have to be modified (as in the case of some weapons to render them non-firing).

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Artifacts