From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:37:13 -0500
Hello to those involved in the "volunteers at museums"
thread!

I have not posted for a while due to several reasons (not
least of which was getting slammed every time I posted).
However, the subject of volunteers is important to me, a
long-time volunteer who - after graduate studies - has
become a professional volunteer coordinator.  (Not where I
plan to stay forever, mind you . . . but a foot in the door.
PHEW!)

Background information:  Through middle/high school and
university, I volunteered for a private art collector, at a
museum with a professional staff of one, and also at
mega-museums with a staff of a couple of hundred.  Great
variety!  Fortunately (for me), I now work at a museum with
enough resources to support both a "Visitor & Volunteer
Coordinator" (in the Marketing & PR Department) - THAT'S ME!
:-) - and also a "Docent Coordinator" (in the Education
Department).  We have a paid staff of about 100, and an
unpaid volunteer force of approximately 250 (most are not
regular/long-term volunteers).

Various ideas/opinions/reactions/thoughts:

What motivates/lures volunteers?  What do volunteers expect?
In my opinion, there are four reasons why volunteers are
motivated/lured to museums.  (Some volunteers have one
reason; other volunteers have several reasons.)

        1. Education - To learn a new skill and/or enhance resumes.
        Typically students.

        2. Socializing - To meet new people.  Typically female
"Empty
        Nesters," meaning wives with working husbands and
        independent children.

        3. Reinforcement - To strive after expressions of
appreciation.
         Typically those who are retired, have free time, and are
made
        to feel unappreciated by society because of the antiquated
        notion that retired people are 'just waiting to die.'

        4. Affiliating - To associate with a 'glorious' or
'respected'
        institution, so some 'glory' or 'respect' rubs off on them
when
        they tell people "I volunteer at _______!"  Typically those
who
        want to enter (or remain in) the upper level of social
circles.

DISCLAIMER: Obviously, there are many volunteers who do not
fit these general categories . . . so, everybody, don't jump
on my back!  ROTFL!

There is no secret to attracting volunteers; likewise, there
is no guarantee that volunteers will be attracted.  At
Joslyn Art Museum, we advertise in our membership
newsletter, Joslyn News (bi-monthly), as our long-term
volunteers are expected to be (or become) members.
Additionally, leading up to 'blockbuster' special
exhibitions, I mail a notice to each person who has
volunteered in the past . . . and we usually take out a
small ad in the free "volunteer corner" in the Omaha
World-Herald.  If people respond positively, great!  If not,
we go to "Plan B" which - after crying, stamping feet, and
pulling hair (LOL!) - we arrange to pay for some part-time
help!

To ensure a volunteer is suitable:

        (1) Require that an application be submitted.
        (2) Get references - and actually call them!
        (3) Conduct a face-to-face interview

We do not have to accept a would-be volunteer if they do not
seem suitable for the task(s) at hand.

If a volunteer is unhappy with their assigned task(s), talk
to them, find out what they would rather do and - if it is
possible - put them to work doing that/those task(s)
instead!  If a volunteer seems to be expressing their
disappointments to patrons (about staff, exhibitions, etc.),
call them in and talk with them to either resolve the issue
or 'fire' them.  Sounds harsh, eh?  Well, staff (paid or
unpaid) is staff.  All staff must understand that
organizational structure allows for face-to-face discussion
to resolve disagreement - but cannot tolerate bad-mouthing
and back-stabbing!  Frankly, I don't care if the volunteer
has been a volunteer here longer than I've been alive!

To keep volunteers our happy with meaningful and sincere
gestures?  When you see a volunteer, smile and say
sincerely, "Thank you for coming today.  We really
appreciate your hard work on our behalf!"  Also talk to them
(not to interfere with your work) about their interests,
hobbies, families, etc.  The cost of a thank you and a brief
chat is nothing but a little time and effort.  We also have
volunteer badges so staff and visitors alike can recognize
volunteers, giving the volunteers the sense that we have
invested some time/effort to grant them authority to a
greater or lesser degree.  The cost is, perhaps $0.25 each
(as we have an ID card laminator)?  At Joslyn, we give a
card (on an annual basis) that entitles volunteers to an
additional 10% off in the cafe and shop (as they receive 10%
off for being members) . . . and a free beverage every time
they are here to volunteer.  The cost is, perhaps, one or
two hundred dollars each year.  We organize an annual
'party' (whether a pot-luck luncheon, a cocktail reception
or a banquet) to honor volunteers with a speak from the
Museum Director, the Board Director, the Chief/Head Curator
or even the Volunteer Coordinator.  The cost is, typically,
about $500 -- at that included 10 art book or art-related
stationary I bought at Barnes & Noble's bargain section!!!
<grin>

The docents, a rather special group who devote many hours a
week to help us out, also have an annual luncheon at a
restaurant - paid for by the museum.  They may also
participate in some excursions - as part of docent training
classes - to area museums (as far away as Des Moines, IA and
Kansas City, KS).  And, there is a docent resource room
(separate from the art reference library) where they may
read art books, plan tours, sign up to lead tours, etc.

Yes, we at Joslyn can do more.  Yes, Joslyn can do more than
museums with smaller budgets.  Yes, museums like the Met in
New York and the Art Institute in Chicago can do more than
Joslyn.  No museum handles the volunteer situation
perfectly.  We can only do our best within given constraints
(finances, time, etc.).  AND, we can always work toward
improvement!

I apologize if I get a little too excited about volunteers .
. . or, perhaps we should all apologize for not getting
excited enough?  Without volunteers we'd be nowhere.
Everyone in a museum depends upon volunteers, including the
Board or Governors or Board of Directors who are,
themselves, volunteers.

(I am willing and able to share ideas and opinions on- or
off-line.)

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)
http://www.joslyn.org