From:
Shana O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:10:01 +0000
Hi Margaret,

You mentioned that you have some museum experience but is this the first
"real job" that you're looking for at a museum?  Did you get your MA right
after your BA?

While I might catch some flack for saying this, I think that everyone who
intends to get an MBA should work in their chosen field first.  The on the
job experience that you would bring with you to your MBA program would make
what you're learning immediately applicable to actual scenarios as opposed
to merely theoretical.

For example, if, while in one of your classes, you are presented with a case
study about an institution that is facing a crisis of some sort, with
experience as a manager at a museum you're able to imagine how that same
crisis might affect your own institution.  As a result, I believe you will
get more out of the program than if you hadn't been working in the field.

That being said, I think the value of an MBA, at this point in your career,
would also depend on what area of the field in which you plan to work--that
would also inform what type of MBA program you should choose.

Back to the original question of what you need to secure a job...experience
helps, as does patience, persistence, etc.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Shana O'Hara
(someone who used to work as an arts manager but sold out and is working for
'da man)