Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:43:20 EST
Following up on John Handley's apparent line of interest, is
there a correlation (or even association) between museums
holding accreditation credentials from some body (will someone
please identify NASAD for me? Our copy of the _Gale
Encyclopedia of Associations_ has been moved to the New
Building, along with just about everything else), on the one
hand; and what might be called a "decent level" of employee
relations on the other? If this is an unexplored matter it
might make a good topic - effects of museum accreditation - for a
student in a "museum studies" program.
Whatever, I would be interested for the study I am writing.
Henry Grunder, Ed. D.

According to Susan Wageman:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, J./B. Moore wrote:
>
> > We are investigating getting accredited by both the AAM and the NASAD, for
> > various sections of our operations.  Our board thinks it would be a
> > wonderful thing for getting additional grants, etc., but exactly how much
> > does accreditation matter for getting grants?
>
> I know of one grantmaking organization that specifically asks about
> accreditation. They require a copy of the most recent accreditation
> report and an update on progress towards addressing any major concerns.
> If not accredited, they want to know "the background for the
> organization's decision not to seek accreditation (if offered in your
> field) or schedule of future plans to seek it." The vast majority of all
> museums funded by this foundation were accredited. Of those that were
> not, only one was not actively pursuing accreditation; and they all had
> good justifications for their status.
>
> One thing you might consider is the response of your board to the idea of
> accreditation. Hopefully, your board members are also some of
> your funders. If they consider it beneficial, it probably is.

(BTW, wouldn't such a relationship constitute conflict of
interest, and be suspect as presenting the likelihood of undue
influence?)