From:
Teresa Whitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:14:54 -0400
Dear Jim:

Thanks for your suggestions.  I had already thought of the numerous conservators for the photograph, and have already isolated the print.  The other problem, and one which I can imagine many other museum proessionals out there are familiar with, is that the small museum in which I work has no budget at all for things like analysis and conservator's fees.  I often have to make due with what I have available to me, with the main concern being that nothing is ever done that is irreversible.  In this mode, does anyone have any practical suggestions for removing the mold from the photograph?

 Hi Teresa,

The powdery substance may not be mold!  On the other hand, it may well be. Keep the photograph enclosed  separately and keep it in a
low RH environment temporarily while the substance is analyzed to identify what it really is. Do not do anything without analyzing
it first: without that knowledge, the proper treatment will not be able to be devised. Keep it isolated so that the suspected mold
spores will not contaminate other objects in your collection! THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Then, visit the AIC WEB site http://aic.stanford.edu: there you will find a list of trained  conservators
who are knowledgeable about the proper methods of analysis and treatments of photographs as well as mold treatments. I am relatively
sure that there should be a
qualified knowledgeable conservator in your area.

As this is a historically significant photograph, I would beware of "garden wisdom" and "cookbook" solutions as they could invite
future
degradation of these objects.

Regards,

Jim Moss
Horological Conservator

We just had a donation of a photograph that has mold growing from the outside of the framed print.  It looks as if it is a powdery mold, that brushes off easily.  However, it has penetrated the acid-free backer of the print and is even started clinging to the front of the print.   Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the print and framing materials, and preventing the return of the mold?  This is an historic photograph.
Thanks in advance,
Teresa Whitt, Director/Curator
South Charleston Museum