From:
Laura Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 22:02:26 -0500
Andy is, as usual right on the legalities.  However, it's important to
remember that UBIT is levied on profits - not gross income.  Most
organizations figure out that if they account for ALL their expenses in a
rental program, the real profits are pretty small.  Also, several have
gotten IRS opinions that this is a passive revenue sources and therefore
not subject to UBIT.  In my experience, the issues of collections safety
and diversion of employee time and attention from their professional
responsibilities are far more relevant than UBIT.  Contact the function
managers group in Boston for details - start with the functions managers at
the New England Aquarium in Boston or Peabody Essex Museum in Salem.  Good
luck.

Laura Roberts