From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:00:26 +0000
Lauren:

Unfortunately UK employment law is even more difficult than US law on
this.  Visitors from outside the European Union are normally admitted
subject to a strict condition that no paid employment of any kind is
undertaken.  The main exceptions are (1) where the individual has a legal
right of residence in the Uk by descent through the "patrial" (male-only)
line (don't blame me that's the law!) i.e. has at least one MALE
grandparent who had UK citizenship or (2) when the prospective employer
(not employee) can prove that despite national advertising there's no
British or European Union citizen available to take up the position.  This
last one is a major obstacle for museum-related work: the UK Museums
Association has around 800 student members while there are probably less
than 100 graduate entrant jobs on offer in a typical year. The best hope
would be if you had something very exceptional to offer in terms of
special skills or experience.  (We have had Japanese and Korean students
who were able to get short-term work experience in Development
Departments - working on developing databases and contacts in relation to
fundraising campaigns amonst Japanese and Korean companies respectively.)

Patrick J. Boylan  (Professor of Heritage Policy and Management)
City University, Frobisher Crescent, Barbican, London EC2Y 8HB, UK;