From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:29:06 -0400
John, I agree wholeheartedly...we are a small historical society also with
some very significant collections.  We are a select few images that are
constantly being requested.  I have not known these images to ever serve us
well from a "marketing" standpoint -- it seems that allowing these images to
be used only results in more requests for the same images!
Not long ago a major Ivy-league institution asked us to waive the fees
(which are miniscule to begin with) to use one of these very popular images.
No way. I'm delighted that people are interested in the images but it
doesn't translate to more visitation for us, or anything else for that
matter.  I actually find the process truly annoying (however, if anyone out
there needs an image, I will be happy to accomodate you!)and not profitable
for us in anyway.  We have a very small staff, also in a rural area, very
tight budget; making reproductions usually involves working within someone
else's deadlines -- we do our best and we need some compensation for the
effort.
Candace Perry