From:
Barry Dressel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:10:19 -0400
The Turks and Caicos National Museum is involved with on-going
archaeological work on the Tainos in these islands. Last summer we found a
canoe paddle in a mangrove-peat area that was carbon-dated to a median 1100
AD date. This is onlythesecond ever found in the Bahamas archipelago, the
other was found in 1912, so you can guess how rare such artifacts are for
these islands. We are trying to locate Taino artifacts in other
collections. Is there anything in this collection that indicates eact
provenance? Is an inventory list available?  Are there any images of
artifacts?  WHERE is the REST of the collection?
 Thanks,
 Barry Dressel,
 Director TCNM