From:
Lori Tomlinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:28:56 -0500
Hi Listers!

Does anyone know the "ins and outs" of showing copyrighted films in museums?  We'd like to offer a bi-weekly movie day for kids, where we would show vintage children's classics (Shirley Temple films, and the like).  We do not have a set admission charge for the Historical Center (rather, a suggested donation), and we would not charge to see the film.  We would attempt to raise modest funds from sales of snacks (popcorn and beverages, for example), and through regular merchanise sales in the Historical Center Store.

Would we be breaking copyright laws if we show the films publically, without charging admission?  Would this fall under fair use for educational purposes if we incorporate some sort of short educational program?

Many thanks,

Lori

Lori Tomlinson
Division Manager