Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:09:45 EDT
art museums that offer docent or staff-led 'touch tours'--tours which include
audio description and direct touching of the objects--to visually impaired
visitors, I know of two such programs that I'd recommend.

The Denver Art Museum has developed Touch Tables which give visitors an
opportunity to explore objects from the Pre-Columbian collection with their
hands.  They were developed by a museum educator who worked in concert with
two people who are blind.  They helped her select the objects that were most
interesting to them because of their tactile qualities and choose the right
words ("seeing words") to describe the objects on an audio tape that guides
the exploration.  Visitors can check out a free tape player, a Braille script,
and a large print version of the audio script at the information desk.
Contact Gretchen De Sciose at 303-640-7573.

The Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center has a Tactile Gallery which visitors can
experience on their own or with the help of a specially trained docent.
Changing exhibits are drawn from a permanent collection of about 100 examples
of contemporary sculpture that have been acquired for this purpose.  Displays
are low enough for children and visitors in wheel chairs and a guide rail
channels them through the exhibit.  Braille labels are placed beside printed
labels. Contact Donna McElroy at 719-634-5581.

I understand that the Museum of Folk Art in New York City also has a program
but I don't know anything about it.

Daryl Fischer