From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:15:21 -0500
This came up before.  I believe government-owned museums follow government
policies; university-connected ones follow the university policy, and the
private ones are mixed.  We are private.  In general I have always favored
turning the honorarium in as a gift to my museum -- it protects my integrity
as a museum director not to be accepting "outside" money.  Lecturing on
museum-related topics is part of the institution's outreach anyway.

Others are free to disagree, and they will, of course.  The issue is
actually very complex, if anyone wants it to be.  For example, if one is
lecturing during working hours; after working hours; on a topic not directly
related to the museum's programs/collections/research...all kinds of
wrinkles.  I prefer to keep it simple.  And the auditors love it that way.
Ross Weeks Jr.
http://histcrab.netscope.net