From:
Hugh Genoways <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:51:58 CDT
>Denis Allen, [log in to unmask], wrote:
>
>>While working at the Bell Museum years ago I was informed by John Jaros,
>then the preparator at that >institution, that one of the most effective
>ways of cleaning mounted specimens that had become dusty
>>was with bread.  A loaf of sliced bread is cheap, already in usable sized
>pieces, will not blow arsenic >dust or other harmful materials used in old
>mounts all over, and is easily obtained.
>

>Let's get sensible. Really, BREAD!!! And I suppose you rub raw potatoes
>over your oil paintings and feel the need to "feed" your furniture, too. Do
>you still believe that boiling linseed oil makes it "ok?"  Do you freeze
>your insect infested artifacts by putting them on the roof of your building
>in the winter? When was the last time you consulted a professional
>conservation journal? Food products are hardly appropriate materials to use
>for caring for cultural property.There are reams of published material
>dedicated to caring for natural history specimens and none of them cite
>bread as an appropriate tool. Perhaps you should update your library and
>refrain from dispensing erroneous conservation advice.
>
>A preparator is not a conservator. A preparator does not usually have a
>degree in chemistry. A preparator ofted works under the direction of a
>conservator.
>
>And as for Mr. Jaros, perhaps that's why he's working as a director and not
>as a preparator any longer.
>
>Diane "On my soapbox again and holding out for moments of rational thought"
>Gutenkauf

Yikes indeed!!

Any taxidermy mount should be handled with extreme care because some of
that "dust" on your specimens may be arsenic that has migrated to the
surface.  Taxidermist have traditionally used arsenic in the preparation of
their mounts.  No dusting!  No bread!  First test for the presence of
arsenic and then proceed accordingly.  If you can't test for arsenic, then
proceed as if arsenic is present.  Wear gloves while handling the mounts
because arsenic can migrate through the skin.  Wear at least a dust mask
because arsenic can be absorbed through the lungs.  Do cleaning in a room
not used by the public.  Use a hepavac to remove the "dust."  Contact your
hazardous material abatement people to dispose of the contents of the
hepavac.  Sign up for a good course in Preventive Conservation.

Hugh H. Genoways

Hugh H. Genoways
Professor
University of Nebraska State Museum
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
W436 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, NE   68588-0514
Voice:  no telephone   FAX  (402)  472-8949
Email:  [log in to unmask]