From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 04:44:57 -0800
--- Catherine Flanders <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would be interested in replies on list with comments as well on the value
> of
> a MS/MA in education.  I have a similar science background (MS engineering)
> and
> have been working in an education setting.  In moving into a museum career,
> what degree would be more valuable, the Museum Studies degree or a masters in
> informal science/math education?

If you want to do education, get an education degree. (Speaking as an educator.
:) A good background in education can be applied to any type of education
situation - museums, classroom or distance learning. I'd also suggest taking
some straight teacher training classes as well since you will most likely be
working with teachers and designing programs for their classrooms as follow-up
activities. One of my pet peeves about museum educators is that a lot of them
can develop really great ed programs that are completely impractical in a most
school classrooms. The activities either take too long or require materials and
space that teachers don't have access to. Having to do some practicums in a
school is a great way to get an idea of what teachers have to deal with these
days and what their limitations are.

Deb