From:
Jim Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:05:36 -0800
>Hello,
>I am in the process of finding out the best way to store this item.  The
>rattle
>is made from caribouskin parchment with a handle made of birch wood.  I
>would like some feed-back from someone who has experience and an
>understanding of metallurgy.  This item will be stored away with possible
>viewing by research scholars.  My concern is the lead shot and how it will
>effect the rest of the organic materials of this item.
>
>Any an all advice is welcome.
>
>Lynette Stephenson
>Student/volunteer
>University of Iowa Natural History Museum
>
>=====

March 5, 2002

Lynette,

I have none of the experience you're asking about, but I believe
you're saying the lead pellets are inside the rattle to make it
rattle, and have been there going on 150 years now.  Am I right?  If
that's the case, I'll simply say this: what has the reaction been
after 142 years?  Any signs on the wood of discoloration, softening,
brittleness or other reaction to the pellets?  If there is no
negative reaction you are aware of, perhaps it's good for another 142
years.

But that's just my thought.  If you can get a knowledgeable opinion,
you ought to get it.

-Jim

--
-Jim Lyons