From:
Chris Godbold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:51:39 -0500
Jen, here are a few ideas:

As has been previously mentioned, a degree in art history would be a good
idea. If you are interested in publicity, pr, marketing, etc. you could try
to get some sort of business degree with a minor in art history or museum
science. You could also try a museum studies program. There are several good
programs and all should include museum administration and exhibition. I can
only say that I agree that there is not necessarily a single right answer
when it comes to which educational track to pursue. Regardless of which one
you choose, try to get as much good museum experience as possible. That's
how you rise to the top of job applicant pools.

You might also check the archives of this list. This sort of topic has come
up before, so responses to those queries may be helpful.
You can also find lists of museum science/studies programs on
globalmuseum.org, museum-employment.com, Indigo's web site (I think), etc.
You might be able to find one in your area. You could look into enrolling in
that program or ask them some of your questions.

You could also try meeting with the curator or director from a local art
museum to ask their thoughts about how to proceed.

Hope some of this is helpful to you.
Cheers,
Chris Godbold
Assistant Curator