From:
Scott Reuter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 02:08:56 GMT
Please give some more information:

- How do the cases open? (Do the glass fronts slide out or are they lifted
out of a groove?)

- If you were to put a gasket material in the gap, would it show? (for
instance, are there two overlapping pieces of glass in the front of the
case with a gap in the center that would look bad if it had a seal or
gasket?

- What kind of objects are in the case? (It may not be a good idea to seal
the objects for up to two years, as pollutants/contaminants from case
materials or the objects themselves may cause damage - this could be
controlled with a regular maintenance schedule, and perhaps a pollutant
scavenger like activated charcoal, etc...)

I would be happy to suggest some methods/materials if you could be a
little more specific. I'm sorry to say that I missed the original post and
didn't see who it was from. Please feel free to e-mail me directly
regarding this.

Best Regards,

Scott Reuter

> > We have an exhibit which will be up for another two years.
> > We are looking for ways to make cases more resistant to
> > dust infiltration.  The cases are large, floor-standing
> > style cases with glass fronts.  The opening height is 7'
> > and varies in width.  The principal entrance of dust into
> > the cases is from the gap between the glass panels.
> >
> > Any recommendations for ways to seal those gaps with an
> > average width of 1/4"?    Some space must be maintained
> > between the glass in order to remove the panels for access
> > to the case interiors.

Exhibit Safety Services - Museum quality earthquake protection for works of art
and antiques - http://home.earthlink.net/~reuter/