From:
Travis Nygard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2013 08:13:35 -0500
Hi Mike and all,

I agree that, realistically, there probably is a ceiling of interest
at most museums.  But your comment about using value-based
offerings to build interest brings to mind an example that may be
worth pointing out.  A county historical society in my home town
put together a titillating value-based show about local history
called Taboo Fargo / Moorhead: An Unmentioned History.  It
sounds to me like this might be a good model for small museums
to look at, as it no-doubt has crown appeal while at the same
time touching on real issues that are worth debating.  It was done in
collaboration with a class, and I am very much looking forward to
seeing it this summer when I visit my parents.

Here is how they pitched it: "Every city has its secrets, and Fargo
and Moorhead are not excluded. The untold stories of these prairie
towns are the subject of this exhibit, which spans 1871-1935. Topics
includes the Ku Klux Klan, prostitution, divorce, bootlegging, and
sundry crimes and vices. Photographs and artifacts will be displayed;
important underground figures will be interpreted; and secrets will be
revealed."  Also, "Students dove into the archives of Cass and Clay
county to find the police records, court files and newspaper articles
featuring the darker side of early Red River Valley society.  One
character that came to light was Malvina Massey, an African-American
woman who ran a successful brothel in downtown Fargo. Her image
remains a mystery but a cache of records including a detailed
inventory of her estate paints a detailed picture of her life in North
Dakota."

http://www.hcscconline.org/calendar/taboo-exhibit-opens/
http://www.hcscconline.org/ai1ec_event/taboo-fargomoorhead-an-unmentioned-history-exhibit-reception/?instance_id=

Does anyone else have suggestions for rigorous crowd-pleasing exhibits
of local history that are worth thinking about as models?

All the best,

Travis