From:
Erika Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:54:09 -0800
Hi,

Just to put my two cent's in, we also are implementing the barcoding
system from PastPerfect.  The barcodes are used in addition to other
numbering techniques like sewn in labels and barrier labels.  We have
had success in printing the labels on acid free file folders and
attaching the labels with cotton string.  I would be leery of using
adhesive labels right on the objects as the adhesive degrades over time
and could damage the objects.  Good luck!

-Erika

Erika R. Brown
Registrar
Ketchikan Museums
629 Dock Street
Ketchikan, Alaska 99901
Voice: 907-225-5600
Fax: 907-225-5602

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/19/05 4:10 PM >>>
Hi,

    Soon to be  properly cataloguing our Museum's collections, I am
considering using barcode  labels (using PastPerfect software) and am
asking for
opinions,  etc.
    It's already  been suggested to me that foil-backed labels (and for
all
your other suggestions  Ware, thanks!) should be used, though I still
have yet
determine if I can even  print [ readable] barcodes with the inkjet
printer
I've decided on.
    There will be  some challenges regarding the placement of the
labels on
objects, but I think I  have that worked out. Some of the bar code
labels will
go over clothing labels,  for instance. And with most of the collection
being
on display - for some items,  like small token coins I have scattered
on a
display shelf -I'll have to keep  the barcode label with the printout
(I'm
creating condition reports at the same  time).
    I'd like to be  able to use string tags, but can't seem to locate
any
that are large enough to  accommodate the barcode label.
    And otherwise,  I'd like to know what type of barcode scanner you
are
using or could  recommend?
                                                    upcoming  issue:
Pest
Control
Thanks again,
Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Museum Assistant
Northeast States Civilian  Conservation Corps Museum
Shenipsit State Forest
166 Chestnut Hill  Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut 06076
(860)  684-3430