From:
Andrew Renaut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:12:21 +1000
Hi, everyone, for those of us not in Northern America - is a MFA a Master of
Fine Arts? Is it 5th year level like a MA? Three years under graduate, 4th
year hounors/ or graduate diploma.., MA. I would be very surprised if you
could not continue on to a Phd., even if the MFA was seen as a bit of a dogs
leg (not cocked! - i.e. you need some sideways sudy)  Here in Australia we
have a system more like the UK. I have an MA and I am currently planning my
Phd. and while it will mostly be by non contact research. I expect to have
to sit in and do some 'related' course work like my mother. Deakin and
Monash Universities run the museum courses here in Melbourne. However, my
Phd. will be done in History, as there is no such cheese as a Museum Studies
Phd... that I am aware of in Australia. (The Deakin courses seem to parallel
Leicester (Sorry Margaret if I'm wrong!))
Andrew R