From:
"VanBuren, Stephen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:26:00 -0500
I agree - especially with the tissue buffer - you should be OK in less
than a year.  If you are concerned about the books pressing (from their
weight) on the bottom of the box thus making acid migration more likely,
you could leave a layer of acid free paper (or extra tissue) on the
bottom for additional protection.  An additional consideration here is
that you are going to have many boxes regardless of what kind you use -
you may want to spring for some cheap standard size box (banker's box)
with handles that will provide safer handling for staff, and thus better
safety for the books.  We try to use our $1.75 bankers boxes for all
transporting - as when picking up books and papers from donors when we
do the packing - and for temporary storage, rather than our much more
expensive archival boxes, which come into use in the final stages of
conservation.  It saves on the budget, and we re-use the bankers boxes
until there isn't anything left.

Also, and on a less cheerful note, it might not be as brief a period as
you are hoping.  We've established a 33% rule here - if a donor says
they have about 6 boxes of things to pick up, we try to remember to
bring 8 or nine empties. If we are told a remodeling project will take 2
or 3 months, we try to plan for 4.  So many things can happen that are
beyond anyone's control.

Good luck!