From:
"Matz, Janelle H" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:46:55 -0900
Steven -
Your education collection sounds very much like our education
collection.  At one time we tried to call it an Auxiliary collection (to
use a more inclusive term), but Education stuck.
I would not give the potential donor an option of designating how the
collection will be used.  Your section choice, any collection you see
fit, clearly stated on the Deed of Gift form, allows you to determine
use.  We have had several cases where an "Education" item was
re-cataloged as a Permanent Collection piece, and have thousands of
situations where I wish we could easily switch a piece from Permanent to
Education.  At the time of donation the lender is told that the Museum
retains the right to place a piece in the Education collection, and that
there is a very remote possibility of deaccession.  I don't recall a
situation where the donor withdrew after the policy was explained.
We do minimal cataloging on Education collection items, roughly about
half the amount for a permanent collection piece.
All of the above policies and practices are spelled out in our
Collections Policy and our Procedures manual.

PS: Art, History and Science Museum? Which one? We are in the process of
adding Science to our Museum and I'm curious how that works!

Sincerely,
Janelle Matz
Collections Manager
Anchorage Museum of History and Art