From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:03:16 -0500
Re: auctioning low-to-mid-value auction items, you may wish to contact
regional auction houses outside of the Big Names & Big Northeastern
Cities, as the decorator market for such items is still strong in the
"provinces."  New Orleans, for example, has two local auction houses
which do a strong business in decorator-quality items in addition to
their high-end sales.  I would guess there are others in Atlanta,
Chicago, Dallas - anywhere people are paying decorators to do up their
houses.

To answer the original question, we get approval from our Collections
Committee, which is made up of Board members and several community
(non-Board) members, to sell never-accessioned items, usually through
public auction houses.  I believe they report the sale to the Board, but
no Board vote is required.  In the event that no auction house wants it,
we offer it to the committee that runs the silent auction for our annual
gala fundraiser.  This is the sale venue of last resort, since it is
technically public but you have to be invited to the auction preview or
buy tickets to the museum gala to attend the auction.   Stuff that we
can't sell at all has ended up filling space, decoratively, in a
conference room and several rooms that we rent out for private
functions.   A few things have gone to the education department for use
in still life drawing.

--
Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator